5-day tour around Southern Kyrgyzstan: Osh (Takht-i-Suleiman mountain, local history museum “Jibek Jolu”, Mosque of Mahammad Yusup Bayhoji oglu, Michael the Archangel Orthodox Church, Rawat Abdullahan Mosque, Osh Bazaar), Uzgen (Uzgen Architectural Complex, Uzgen bazaar), Abshirsay waterfall (Ref: AKG0016-4)
- Featured images
- Service Provider
5-day tour around Southern Kyrgyzstan
“5-day tour around Southern Kyrgyzstan” is organized by Amin within a local Travel & Transport agency and in collaboration with local professionals.
Itinerary: Osh (Takht-i-Suleiman mountain, local history museum “Jibek Jolu”, Mosque of Mahammad Yusup Bayhoji oglu, Michael the Archangel Orthodox Church, Rawat Abdullahan Mosque, Osh Bazaar), Uzgen (Uzgen Architectural Complex, Uzgen bazaar), Abshirsay waterfall.
- Tour category: combined
- Group size: up to 10 people
- Duration: 5 days
- Season: from June 1 to November 15
- Required equipment: headwear for sun protection, light cotton clothing, waterproof jacket, sweater, sunglasses, comfortable shoes (2 pairs: closed and light summer), flashlight.
Day 1: Osh
Meeting up at Osh International Airport. Accommodation in a hotel, dinner.
Day 2: Osh
Walking tour to Takht-i-Suleiman mountain (1060 meters):
- acquaintance with the cult places of fire worshipers’ priests of the Late Bronze Age (end of II – beginning of I millennium BC)
- Visit the rock art gallery, located under the open sky at the foot of the mountain Takht-i-Suleiman. The petroglyphs are dated from the end of XIV – the beginning of XIII centuries BC;
- A visit to Takht-i-Suleiman mosque, located on the eastern top of the mountain (1030 meters);
- A visit to the museum of spiritual culture, the exposition of which represents the main religions that existed in the south of Kyrgyzstan. The museum halls are located in the caves of Takht-i-Suleiman mountain;
- visiting caves and grottoes of the Takht-i-Suleiman mountain.
Lunch at Nostalgie Cafe.
City tour includes the following sights:
- local history museum “Jibek Jolu”;
- Mosque of Mahammad Yusup Bayhoji oglu (the beginning of the XX century);
- Michael the Archangel Orthodox Church (early XX century);
- The oldest mosque Rawat Abdullahan (end of the XVI century).
Dinner in the cafe “Al Faiz”.
Day 3: Uzgen – Osh Bazaar
After breakfast, a car trip to Uzgen – the ancient capital of the Karakhanids (68 kilometers). The city of Uzgen was founded in the VIII – IX centuries on the steep terrace of the river Kara-Darya. It is known that the trade route from Fergana to Semirechye passed through Uzgen.
In the period from X to XIII century Uzgen was a major trading center, a powerful fortress and the southern capital of the Karakhanid state. Uzgen Architectural Complex is still the center of the city (built in the XI – XII centuries). It includes a minaret and three nearby mausoleums that originally were the tombs of the Karakhanid rulers.
The Middle Mausoleum is the earliest building, it was built at the beginning of the XI century. The Northern Mausoleum was added in 1152. The carved terracotta inscriptions contain the construction date and the name of the ruler of the Western Karakhanid state – Hussein Hassan ibn Ali. The Southern Mausoleum is dated back to 1187. All three mausoleums are crowned with domes and their facades are richly ornamented with inscriptions and patterns that combine floral and geometric designs.
Besides, today we will visit Uzgen bazaar and buy the famous Uzgen rice “devzra”. Lunch in Osh at a local restaurant. Afterwards we will make a small trip to see the rice plantations.
Visit to the historical and architectural complex (XI-XII centuries). If you climb to the top of the minaret, you will be able to observe the city of Uzgen and its surroundings.
Visit to Osh bazaar.
Visiting artisan workshops:
- manufacture of knives;
- craft workshop for the production of tandoors. Tandoor is a kind of oven for making bread and many types of samsa (savoury meat pastry). The art of making tandoors is usually transmitted from father to son over many centuries.
- creative center “DOOR”, where guests will not only get acquainted with the skill of pottery artists, but also may try to create exclusive masterpieces.
Dinner at a teahouse. Tourists will be offered pilaf (plov) of Uzgen rice.
Overnight at a hotel in Osh.
Day 4: Abshirsay waterfall
Today we will head to Abshirsay tract (110 kilometers) to see Abshirsay waterfall. On the way we will visit:
- Barite cave (60 meters). The cave is located in the Tuya-Muyunsky ridge. In the middle of the twentieth century the uranium mining was carried out here. An abandoned adit leads to the cave.
- Dul-Dul-At places. Davan is a slave-owning state that existed on the territory of the Osh oasis from the end of the 1st century BC. The state was famous for special breed horses that could develop incredible speed and were very hardy. These horses more than once became the target of military campaigns of neighboring China, but no one could take possession of them. Today, in memory of Davan, there are rock carvings of Davan horses.
- the village of Mangyt, where hospitable Uzbek family and hot tea will be waiting for you. Upon arrival at Abshirsay – excursion to the Abshir-Ata waterfall (35 meters). It is a unique creation of nature. A stream of glittering water bursts out of a round-shaped hole about 2 meters in diameter and falls down from a sheer thirty-five-meter wall with noise. The waterfall is the mouth of an underground river and owes its formation to the karst phenomena.
Lunch-picnic in Abshirsay tract (1700 meters), which is famous for juniper forests. Return to Osh. Dinner at a local restaurant. Overnight at a hotel in Osh.
Day 5: Farewell breakfast
Te price includes: transfers, accommodation, meals, museum entrance fees as listed.
|Group size||Price (USD)|
|from 5 people||
|less than 5 people||please, consult the service provider!|
If you need additional information, please, do not hesitate to contact the service provider using the contact form on this page!
In order to book the activity, please, use the contact form on this page. Please, do not forget to indicate your trip dates.
Remember, that your booking should be confirmed by the service provider and it does not represent a contractual relation with Central Asia Guidebook.
Doesn’t fit your needs or budget?
View more Tours and Activities or let us help you! Fill out our service request form and we will do our best to help you find your ideal guide, driver, accommodation, tour or any other travel service in Central Asia!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The prices are indicative and may therefore vary depending on the current KGS/USD rate, number of days/kilometres of your itinerary or time of the year and do not represent a contractual relation with CAGB. Besides, Central Asia Guidebook is not responsible for the price changes made by service providers without notice.
You can check the actual kyrgyz currency exchange rates here or using Google services.